According to the most experienced humans, hunting is a fun outdoor activity. But it certainly requires skills and experience. There are two great qualities that are observed in most of experienced hunters and that is:
- Their ability to use firearms
- Their ability to remain patient while on the hunt
So even if you don’t have much experience but are thinking of going or hunting, then you better start working on these two qualities.
Apart from this, inexperienced hunters need a ton of practice and skill. Because, well hunting demands a firearm and you can certainly not go into the open without following safe firearm practices, this clearly means you need an adequate amount of training before handling a firearm.
Three common mistakes inexperienced hunters make
Over-excitement can be exorbitant: mistaking a human for a game, it seems nearly impossible to slip a human for a four-legged prey, but it occurs. While hunting, in order to eschew a hunting accident you must take note of the shape of your prey and things around.
Muster experience: before going into the woods get proper training, it is crucial for big-game hunting. Being inexperienced is not only harmful to you but it could also be treacherous for others.
Mechanical failures: These are very common and can happen with your firearm. This takes us back to practice the safety rules thoroughly. As a hunter, you should know how to deal with a jammed gun, a rim lock or a slam fire. If these terms are unfamiliar to you, you should focus on mustering experience and knowledge before stepping into the woods.
Foremost Firearm Safety Measures:
These are the primary safety measures that must be considered when thinking about things to remember while hunting.
- Muzzle Direction: you always point your firearm towards your intended target. Misdirection is a sure-fire way to hit an innocent bystander or the wrong target. You must practice safe gun control.
- Unloaded Weapon: You should always consider the firearm in your control as being loaded even when they are not actually loaded.
- Trigger: it should not be a resting place for your fingers. Make sure to get your fingers off the trigger guard when carrying your firearm. It is a very mistake committed by inexperienced hunters. So make sure to master this before stepping into the woods.
Make Sure To Adhere To These 7 Cardinal Considerations
Majorly in all states, hunters are usually required to take a basic hunting course and classes for gun safety before applying for a hunting license. Even if you’ve been out into the woods for hunting before enrolling a safety class can expand your knowledge and help you equip better with the hunt. Apart from this, there are some crucial considerations that you must lend concern to when thinking about things to remember while hunting:
1. Firearm Safety: as per the National Shooting Sports Foundation, you’re far less likely to die from a firearm than you are from choking on food or driving. Out of which only 0.1% of unintentional fatalities come from firearms. But still, these should be dealt with utmost responsibility and care.
2. Attire: while hunting wears a bright and colorful jacket or vest, this helps in alarming the other hunters. It’s more like a silent signal that other hunters are on the field.
3. The Wind: while on the hunt this can be your greatest opponent. The experienced hunters have learned to pay attention to the speed and direction of the wind while hunting because it can pick deliver your scent and alert your intended target.
4. Scent Control: sprinkle a few drops of scent control over your outfit, this can lure you game as close to you as possible for an ideal shot. An excess of scent control might send signals of warning and alert your game within a distance of half a mile. So sprinkle some but not in excess.
5. Gear Up: there are some other equipments that hunters must bring along their hunting trips. For deer hunters: a hunting tree stand can come in handy for an aerial view of the whole landscape.
But a tree stand is not enough, you must consider including:
6. Keep Quiet: hunting expects a lot of stealth movement. Going into the field with a mobile device is the most common reason why the target is usually drifted away.
7. Patience: If you decide to move base after an hour of waiting this’ll lessen your chances of ever killing any intended target. By moving around you take up the risk of spreading your scent, thereby alerting animals that pick up the scent within no time.
Make sure you follow the above-listed pointers when thinking of things to remember while hunting. Having said that, don’t forget to consider the kind of cloth you are choosing to wear. Prefer plush fleece material, it is usually silent and is the best choice when looking for a hunting cloth.